Good start to the trading week
The major European indices are closing higher as they were boosted by hopes for a faster and to the Covid crisis:
- German DAX, +0.5%
- France’s CAC, +1.7%
- UK’s FTSE 100, +1.7%
- Spain’s Ibex, +2.6%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB, +2.1%
In the European debt market, the benchmark 10 year yields are ending mixed, with a tilt to the downside. The UK 10 year yield is the only one up at 0.7 basis points. The German yield is unchanged at -0.547%.
In other markets as European/London traders look to exit:
- Spot gold is trading up $5.90 or 0.32% at $1895.08. That is $30 off the low for the day at $1865.30. The high price stalled just ahead of the $1900 level at $1899.15.
- Spot silver is up $0.11 or 0.45% at $24.78
- WTI crude oil futures are also higher by $1.35 or 3.36% $41.48
In the forex market, the US dollar is little changed vs. the EUR, GBP, JPY and CHF but lower vs. CAD, AUD and NZD.
In the US stock market:
- S&P index is up 37.39 points or 1.04% at 3622.61
- NASDAQ index is up 74.5 points or 0.64% at 11903.70
- Dow is up 433 points or 1.47% at 29913.32
In the US debt market, yields are all trading near unchanged:
- 2 year 0.179%, unchanged
- 10 year 0.897%, +0.1 basis points
- 30 year 1.650%, +0.3 basis points